Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Flame"

SOLD

I do so hate being away from painting for an entire week, I was so glad to get back to my brushes and the smell of oil. I had plenty of inspiration for the feeling of heat in Alabama while I was there! My goal was to have this painting convey that sense of heat we are feeling from our summer days and maybe a secret flame or burning passion.

"The artist must create a spark before he can make a fire, and must be ready to be consumed by that fire"....Auguste Rodin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You handled the highlights devinely. And you didn't resort to the obvious trick of using blue to push that orange forward (like I would have).

On my mac screen I see cool pink in the shadow. Very nice.

Reminds me of something delicious. Peach Melba maybe. I'm hungry.

Debbie Miller said...

Hey this is HOT! I love that highlight along the front left edge, yummy. So, is cool blue up next? how about green with envy? how about a present a day in a different color everyday? oooh, white!!! :-) so many colors so little time

Karen Appleton said...

You girls slay me! Thank you for the encouraging words, makes my day!
Silvina, I actually did try out blue and cool gray blue for the background, but wanted the present to be so hot it warmed up the entire painting:)I know, I know, crazy?!?
Debbie, how did you guess what's next???
Thanks for your comments
Karen